Benefits of Yoga
1. Stress Relief: Yoga decreases the effects of stress on the physical body. By promoting relaxation, yoga helps to reduce the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Associated benefits include lowering blood pressure and heart rate, improving digestion and supporting the immune system as well as easing symptoms of ailments such as anxiety, depression, fatigue, asthma, and insomnia. Yoga is considered one of the top five stress-relieving exercises that you can do!
2. Pain Relief: Yoga can reduce all types of pain. Studies have shown that practicing yoga asanas (postures), meditation or a combination of the two, decreased pain for people with ailments such as cancer, multiple sclerosis, auto-immune diseases and hypertension as well as arthritis, back and neck pain, and other chronic conditions. Some practitioners report that even mental and emotional pain can be eased through the practice of yoga poses.
3. Better Breathing: Yoga guides people to take slower, deeper breaths through the pranyama exercises. This supports to increase lung function, trigger the body’s relaxation response, and enhance the amount of oxygen accessible to the body.
4. Flexibility: Yoga helps to increase flexibility and mobility, improving range of movement, and diminishing aches and pains. Numerous people can’t touch their toes throughout their first yoga class. Gradually they start to use the right muscles. Over time, the ligaments, tendons, and muscles lengthen, improving elasticity, making more poses imaginable. Yoga also helps to increase body alignment occurring in better posture and helping to relieve back, neck, joint, and muscle problems.
5. Increased Strength: Yoga asanas (postures) use almost every muscle in the body, increase strength from head to toe. Yoga asanas particularly strengthen the muscles closest to the bones, thereby improving support of the skeletal system and building more space in the vertebrae. And, while these postures strengthen the body, they also provide an added benefit of promoting to relieve muscular tension.
6. Weight Management: Yoga (even the less vigorous styles) can help weight control efforts by decreasing the cortisol levels as well as by burning excess calories and reducing stress. Yoga also promotes healthy eating habits and gives a heightened sense of well being and self-esteem.
7. Improved Circulation: Yoga helps to enhance circulation and, as a result of different poses, more efficiently transfers oxygenated blood to the body’s cells.
8. Cardiovascular Conditioning: Even a gentle yoga practice can produce cardiovascular advantages by lowering resting heart rate, improving endurance, and increasing oxygen uptake during exercise.
9. Focus on the Present: Yoga encourages us to focus on the present, to become more aware, and to help generate mind-body health. It opens the way to improved concentration, coordination, reaction time, and memory.
10. Inner Peace: The meditative features of yoga help many to reach a deeper, more spiritual, and more comforting place in their lives. Many who begin to practice for different reasons have reported this to be a key purpose that yoga has become an indispensable part of their daily lives.
Common ailments yoga will help:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- High Blood Pressure
- Pre-Menstrual Syndrome
- Muscle Pain
The Benefits of Practicing Yoga at Maharishi Meditation Center
1. We Respect Tradition. Yoga is not just a physical practice but also a mental and spiritual practice. It is a way of life, not a trip to the gym. At Maharishi Meditation Center, we strive to create a unique Sacred Space, filled with teachers and students who honor the ancient traditions of yoga. We don’t shy away from the meditative side of yoga, but rather encourage and practice it, because you can’t argue with 4000 years of tradition.
2. We Respect the Traditions of Others. At Maharishi Meditation Center, you will not feel spiritually encroached upon. We respect and embrace every individual’s beliefs and freely share our own with you. Each teacher has a different slant, just as each student does, but we strive to simply give you the best, most uplifting experience possible. Each class is a cherished respite from the world, a chance to renew yourself.
3. Our Classes Are Small and Intimate. In the tradition and spirit of yoga, we keep our classes smaller to afford you more one-on-one time with your instructor, the way it used to be done in the ashrams of India.
4. Our Teachers Are Highly Trained and Continue to Train. It is the Maharishi Meditation Center’s philosophy that we should never stop learning. Our teachers, just like our students, continue to stretch their bounds with continuing educational programs, so that we can bring you new and amazing ways of accessing your True Self in body, mind, and spirit.
5. We Are a Part of the Community and Seek to Be of Service.
Maharishi Meditation Center has been a pillar of the community for nearly seven years. We are always working to give back and encourage our students to do the same. Come for the yoga, stay for the experience, and be a part of the community!
Helpful Hints for Your Practice:
Wait 2 – 3 hours after eating to practice.
Wear comfortable clothing and bare feet.
While we do provide mats for new students, we recommend that you purchase your own.